Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Discussion - Insurance

Do any of you have your photography equipment insured? I understand that if your equipment generates income than you need commercial insurance vs. home or renter's insurance which covers the hobbyist. I definitely couldn't afford to replace mine if it was damaged or stolen :P so any advice and direction pointing to who and how much would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

ps. Check out Troy's sweet jeep at


  1. yo dave. i went, just before i left for the europe, to my insurance guy and had all my jazz, including the computer, insured as a rider on the homeowners. i am pretty sure he knew that this is how i make my benjamins, and he didn't seem to have a problem with writing up the policy.

    i have a $500 deductible and I pay about $250/year.

  2. Thanks, Hugh! Good to have you back.

  3. If you have any questions about this feel free to contact my Mom (Audrey 661-3304) ; she works for Allstate and set me up with gear insurance . I went the same route as Hugh although mine was thrown onto a renter's insurance plan. When I spilled beverage into Senor Macbook, Allstate had a check in the mail the next day, covering every cent :)

  4. Thanks, fellas. I took your advices and called my Allstate agent. Same scenario, except mine doesn't have a deductible. As soon as I add TS lenses to the list they'll shoot me into a new insurance bracket ;) I feel so cozy in good hands.

  5. For business insurance with umbrella liability, theft, damage etc I use my good friend Tage Peterson. He finds us the best deals on every type of insurance we have. Super good dude:
    (951) 818-8667